Meet University of Missouri Press authors and staff at events across the country. Search our calendar for an event near you.
The University of Missouri Press was founded in 1958 by William Peden, writer and dedicated member of the university’s English Department faculty. Throughout its history, the Press has been committed to publishing important books, including those unlikely to turn a profit for commercial publishers. The Press endeavors to share original scholarly research, outstanding writing, and uniquely focused studies by, for, and about Missourians. Making these books available to the public enables the Press to fulfill its mission as a partner to the University of Missouri in the dissemination of scholarship and knowledge.
For more information about our Series, visit our Series page.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
We at the University of Missouri Press are a dynamic scholarly publisher of a range of subject lists, with a focus on American History (esp. U.S. Military, African American, Political), Journalism, Political Science, Missouri History and Regional Studies, and Literary Criticism (gen. American and British). We are, though, happy to consider inquiries regarding work in any area of the humanities or natural history.
Note: We do not publish poetry, original novels, or fiction.
If you would like to submit a book proposal for our consideration, please send it to:
Andrew J. Davidson
Editor in Chief
University of Missouri Press
113 Heinkel Building
201 S. 7th Street
Columbia, MO 65211-1344
A well-written book proposal should include:
- a description of the overall concept and rationale
- a good sense of the readership and market, including similar or potentially competing works
- a table of contents with a brief, chapter-by-chapter description
- expected page length and word count (in Word, 12-pt, double-spaced) and number of illustrations
- an introduction and one sample chapter if available
- schedule for completion of the manuscript
- a recent CV that includes the author’s publishing history
Please do not send a completed manuscript unless invited.
SUPPORT THE PRESS
We appreciate the support of our patrons. For information about how to give to the Press, please visit our Support the Press page.